Sunday, December 05, 2004

New Sunday breakfast run

We have for some time done a breakfat run on Sunday morning which consisted of a stop at Olde Town Kolache Factory for a ranchera kolache and then a stop at Starbucks for chai. Not too long ago we tried Bagel World rather than the kolache place.

Bagel World is close to home, but the energy of the place really sucks. The selection at noonish on Sunday really sucks, too, since they close at 1. There is a place for bagels inside the loop called Hot Bagel Shop and they really do have the best bagels I have had since moving to Houston. It is just a 20 minute ride, but when I think about it, that seems excessive just for a bagel. After Bagel World, I decided that when I am feeling like a bagel on Sunday morning, I just won't think about it and I will go to Hot Bagel Shop.

Yesterday I decided the new regular Sunday morning breakfast run would be to Starbucks and then La Madeleine for a pastry. Both close to the house and very convenient, but more importantly, both very tasty.

I used to take Nola on the breakfast run with me and we would hit a Starbucks with a drive through. They would pass me a lid filled with whipped cream for her and she would happily lap it up. If E goes with me, Nola stays home. E does not get the lid of cream though. How sad.

On Friday night we went to the lesbian social event of the season. There is a woman who sends out a weekly lesbian social calendar and organizes a lesbian happy hour twice a month. She then throws a Xmas party for 300 of her 'close and personal friends', the women on the email list. There is a $20 entry fee and proceeds go to a local charity. The entry fee gets you an open bar and heavy hors d'oeuvres. An open bar tends to make the lesbian community here in Houston something less than appealing. Or maybe they are just like this on a regular basis. Either way, it is rather disappointing. E said, "Is this our audience for EP?"

Unfortunately, the answer is sort of yes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What kind of less appealing? Drunk with drama? Was it not an age thing - as in I assume they were too old for drama?

I can't even imagine a place with that many lesbians :-) The closest I've been to that was probably when Sidekicks showed the first episode of The L Word on the big screens the night it premiered. That was a pretty tame crowd.

Beth

maxine said...

Not quite drunk with drama, though that would have been a convenient or reasonable excuse. There was a lot f attitude floating around. A few power lesbians, and more than a few wannabe power lesbians.

It was a general bad energy thing going on.