Tuesday, November 18, 2003

I actually did three people in the salon today. While this was a pleasant change in the monotony of the trials to my patience, having to witness my neighboring stylist's utter lack of talent, skill and knowledge was terribly painful.

J got a color client around the time I was woking on my third cut of the afternoon. I have not worked with her very long, just 5 weeks now, but witnessing her efforts today made me lose any semblance of respect toward her professionally I might have had. I will never again book her any appointments that walk or phone in. Yes, it really was that bad, and yes, I will be speaking with my manager about it in the morning.

The thing is, she has been through school and has been a stylist for a period of time which I am unaware of. Even if she is old school, having gone to school before the advent of foil hilighting, (which gives her a modicum of slack) I could teach her the technique, and with a lot of practice she could perhaps (and this is a generous stretch of my imagination) gain some degree of mastery over it to justify charging for the service. She cannot, however, gain an artistic soul to be able to interpret color choice.

Having vented this, I certainly feel better. Perhaps enough that I will remain mute about it in the salon and not mention it to my manager. We shall see how that goes.

No comments: