Monday, May 02, 2005

vying for a tie

This morning I had to go do my upper GI series. I think it is a pretty close tie for the worst experience ever with the colonoscopy prep. Here honey, drink this barium cocktail. It's not so bad. Really.

Worse than actually having to do it is the thought that I could have to repeat this at my doctor's whim. I am truly at her mercy, and she thankfully, does not appear to have a sadistic streak. I am holding on to the hope that These are just diagnostic tools and that they will be used sparingly.

Today's treat was a thick creamy substance which might be better if served well chilled. There is an attempt to improve it with a fruity sort of flavor, though I think mint or chocolate would be a better choice. About 20 ounces was just divine.

There were no dietary restrictions, but I am glad I chose to not eat because I am not sure I would have been able to keep it down. In addition to the unpleasantness that would have been vomiting, I would have had to drink more cocktail. Ugh.

On the table for an x-ray. Sit in the waiting room 15 minutes more. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Ok, I think you're ready honey. Roll to the side a little, a little more don't breathe, a little more, breathe, don't breathe, roll back, there, don't breathe...waiting room for 15 minutes more, repeat.

It was exhausting. Then, for me trouble, I was given some apple juice and a pack of cheese and crackers and a pack of graham crackers. Graham crackers only in the future, please.

And the nice lady at the desk gave me a double parking validation which means at least the parking was free.

The staff at outpatient imaging was somewhat more pleasant than the staff at the doc's office, but there is still work to be done in that area. There are signs all over the place that say they, the hospital staff, aim to provide 5 star customer service. Unfortunately, they hover between one and two star with the occasional exception. Not good enough, IMO.

1 comment:

whispers said...

lady you have my ultimate sympathies. the whole g/i series is barbaric even when it's a necessary evil.

take some time to do some serious pampering once you get over the whole thing.