Monday, August 09, 2004

Is it morning yet?

We went out yesterday to shoot some pool with the boys around 3 or so. Then we went to have a slice of pizza, and from there we dropped T off at his dad's and then came home. I could not keep my eyes open, so I went in to take a nap. I think that might have been around 7.

I was up near midnight to relieve myself of the rest of the beer I drank, but went right back to sleep. Shortly before 8 this morning I was awake. I mean really awake.

I have not had that lengthy a sleep in quite a long time. I'll take it because I really feel great.

We were up fairly early yesterday too, for a Sunday. We went on the breakfast run to get a kolache and then a chai at Starbucks. Then we went to the farmer's market. I got poblanos to make chile rellenos, and also some potatoes, onions, plums, and the biggest and sweetest blueberries I have ever seen.

The last time I ate blueberries, I had gone out to the dump to pick them with Mrs. Ames. I was about 14 or 15 and Mrs Ames was in her 60s I would guess, and something less than sane. There were wild blueberry bushes in patches out off the main dump road, of that I was certain, but a morning out with Mrs. Ames was a real chore.

I still remember hearing my dad urge me to go, "Oh, go on, we can have them for lunch after they have cooled in the fridge a bit. You know you like them."

The blue berries were just ripe, I think one more night and they would have been ravaged by the bears. i think we picked about 10 quarts before we were through.

When we returned to the campground, we washed them off in the utility sink and some went straight to zip bags for freezing. Mrs. Ames told me there would be a second and maybe a third crop of them this summer and if we got enough, she would make jam. I told her my dad would eat these daily until they were gone, so getting enough was not very likely.

Once I was done putting them away, I saw my dad behind the counter getting lunch ready. He made us sandwiches of something, and we each had a bowl of blueberries waiting wit a nice dollop of sour cream and a sprinkling of brown sugar.

Funny, but I just saw this same "recipe" in a magazine as a healthy coll summer treat.

I am going to dig in.


No comments: