Thursday, June 24, 2004

Mothers and babies

This morning, I was lying in bed listening to this distinct new bird out either in my yard or in the immediate vicinity. I figured it was just passing through as its call was something totally foreign, having never been heard in the two years I have lived here.

After about 40 minutes of her most annoying bird song, I got up and went to see if she was visibly in the yard. I was planning to let the dogs out to shoo her away, though oddly enough, they were seemingly oblivious to her presence. I went to the patio door and what did I see but a duck being trailed by about ten babies. I called Elizabeth at work to ask her if she had seen it earlier this morning and she said no, but added that Sawyer had indeed been out in the yard and made no commotion. I told her I would take the dogs for a walk, then see if they were still in the yard and try to get a picture. I wanted her to know so she did not routinely let the dogs out if she arrived home before me.

After returning from the stroll with the dogs, I slipped out back with the camera. The ducks were around the side of the house hiding behind the air conditioner unit, likely having heard the dogs barking as we returned from the walk. As I got nearer with the camera, I saw there were two adult ducks and one of them flew toward me and to the top rail of the fence.

Fairly warned, I backed away and left them to their secure space. Now that I was considering the situation, I realized that Nola has been hanging out over on that side of the house for a week or so whenever she is outside. When the dogs go out, Sawyer has been scratching to come in, and in each instance, I have had to aggressively call Nola or let her stay out longer.I think she has been making friends with Mama duck.

While discussing this with Elizabeth, I reasoned that the ducks were flying and chose our yard to nest and lay eggs. The chicks are little fur balls and there is no way they flew into the yard with Mama. When we get home this afternoon, I will go out and see if they are still there and if there is any semblance of a nest, unless I am again shooed away.

When we returned home, the ducks were gone.









1 comment:

Miss Laura said...

I don't see your e-mail but I had a favor to ask of you. Could you e-mail me at Laura at specsappeal dawt net or put your e-mail here so that I could drop you a line. Thank you ever so kindly.